Sunday, November 29, 2009

Home is....

When I arrived in Colorado Springs, I spent the first couple of weeks trying to figure out where home was. I was born and raised in California, but now I was in this new city, where I knew God was going to reveal himself in a whole new way.

I started hanging all of my picture frames. My friends, my family. Before I left California, on one of mine and Carly's MANY trips to Ross, I found this picture frame that said, "There's No Place Like Home". I bought it thinking, "Oh, I know exactly what I'm going to put in here." And when it came time to actually hang it, I went back and forth on what home really was to me. Before I left for Colorado, I moved out of the house that I lived in for 5 years with my mom. I lived with Carly and her family and while they are like my second family, I never felt at home. So what was I to put in this frame? I really felt like God told me, "Just hang the picture frame with nothing in it. I will reveal to you what home is." So the frame has hung on my wall, empty ever since.

I went home for a week for Thanksgiving. And for the first time in a really long time, I felt at home. Not just in the building that I was sleeping in. But with the people. I spent an entire 10 days with what I will always consider my family. I spent those ten days, cooking in the kitchen, laying on the couch, watching tv, talking at the dinner table, actually eating at the dinner table (that never really happened a lot when I was growing up), laughing with each other, crying with each other, and just living. And at the end of the trip, I heard God say, "This is what your home is. Not a location, but being first in the presence of Me and then in the presence of the people I have placed in your life."

Since I was ten years old I've always said that I will NEVER live in California all of my life. So the idea of me leaving and possibly never coming back permanently, was something that I was looking forward to. But something happened over Thanksgiving, I found something in California that I love. I may not love the people driving on the freeway, or the sun 365 days in a row, or not being able to really see the mountains because of the smog, but I came to the point that if God calls me to stay there all of my life, I will be privileged and happy to do it. And if He places me somewhere else, then I'll trust that I will still feel at home, wherever I go.

There was one other thing that I feel like God is still revealing to me. Maybe one day I will share that with you, but at this point he's still working in me. :) Don't you just hang to be left hanging? :)

It was so hard to leave California. I love all of you there and if I didn't get to spend a lot of time with some of you, I am sorry. Please know that I love and care for all of you, and I'm thankful that you are apart of my life.

I'm already counting down the days till I come back: 18 to be exact! :)


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that God was able to show you what "home" was and i gotta say I have been shown that the past few months, its not just the physical place you sleep but also the people you share your life with and give your heart too...thanks babe, this was an awesome blog :)
    I love you...ill see ya in 18 days :)

    ReplyDelete